As a major dairy company owned by farmers, Arla Foods aims to help our farmers produce their milk in a sustainable way. By setting the goal to purchase milk from sustainable farming sources by 2020, we push ourselves, our suppliers and our farmers to work toward more environmentally sustainable milk production.
In order to achieve this, our main focus areas are:
Develop Arla's 'Sustainable Milk Farming Standard’
We worked with our farmers to develop a new farming standard put in place in 2013.
We have set high standards and, among other areas, we focus on the following:
- Soil fertility and nutrient balance
- Feed production (read our statement on e.g. soy)
- Protect and promote biodiversity
- Efficient use of resources
- Reduction of emissions and e.g. water leaks
Set-up open demonstration farms in core markets
We have test and demonstration farms in Denmark, Sweden, Finland, UK and Germany. The purpose of the farms is to be able to develop, test and implement new ways of working. We will:
- Set new standards for farm sustainability and animal welfare
- Further develop farm management and farm systems